Slips, Trips & Falls Compensation

You are here: Home » Slips, Trips & Falls Compensation
Slips trips and falls compensation

Our Solicitors have many years of experience in dealing with all kinds of injuries caused by Slips, Trips & Falls.

 If you have been injured in a Slip, Trip or Fall then you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries.

What You Must Prove to be Awarded Compensation for Slips, Trips & Falls

You must prove it is more likely than not that the person or body responsible for the area where your accident occurred has been negligent and that this has caused your injuries.

Accident in the Street

If you were injured in the street then any claim is likely to lie against the local highway authority (usually the local council).

Accident on Private Property

If you suffer an injury as a result of an accident on someone’s property (e.g. in a privately owned street, a shop, a house, building or any other public place), injury claims may be against the ‘occupier’ of the property.

The ‘occupier’ is usually the person (or body) who has control over the land where your accident occurred.

Under the Occupier’s Liability Act 1957, an occupier must take reasonable care to ensure that visitors to his premises are safe while they are on the premises.

Even if you had no permission to be on the premises, you may still have a claim.

Accident at Work

If you suffer an injury as a result of a fall at work then your claim will usually either be against your employer or the person or body who has control of the location of your fall.

Employers have a duty to take reasonable steps to ensure that workplaces are free of anything that may cause a person to slip, trip or fall.


Take photographs of the defect etc which caused your accident as soon as possible. Ensure that the photographs show the size of the defect (e.g. by holding a ruler or tape measure next to the defect).


Put together a list of all those people who saw your accident take place as it will be necessary to take statements from them in the future.


You will be able to claim compensation for any pain and suffering caused by your accident. You may also be able to recover other losses you may have incurred such as:

  • • the cost of medical treatment or medication
  • • damage to clothing
  • • loss of earnings
  • • travel expenses to and from your GP or Hospital for treatment
  • • care and assistance someone has had to give you because of your injuries

Keep a record of any financial losses you have suffered as a result of your accident. Keep any receipts for those losses.

Time Limits

You only have 3 years from the date of any Slips, Trips & Falls to issue Court Proceedings. The Court can waive this 3-year time limit in some circumstances.

Slips Trips & Falls


Show Comments